Monday, December 10, 2012

Cake and Cocoa

Guess what??!! Today I finished my last test ever of my college career! No more finals and no more classes. So weird to be done. But so great at the same time. All I got coming up is my fancy internship starting in January. Christmas is on its way! I have been lazy about finishing my Christmas projects. I get to the very last thing and then decide to take a break and it sits on my table for 3 weeks... like our stockings. I have been too lazy to go to the craft store and pick up that last piece of ribbon I need. Guess I better get on that. Got no more excuses now that I am done with school.

On Saturday I made a beautiful coffee cake! I even pulled out my fancy Kitchen Aid mixer out of the closet, which is usually too bulky to keep on my teeny counter.
The name of the cake is Sour Cream Coffee Cake, which I admit, sounds weird. Sour cream in cake? But it makes it so moist and doesn't taste anything like sour cream in the end.

Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Cake:
1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. margarine
2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 c. sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder

Filling:
1/2 c. chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans are delish)
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 c. brown sugar

Mix in mixer butter, margarine, sugar, eggs, sour cream, vanilla, salt baking powder and flour.
Pour 1.2 the batter in well greased bundt pan. Mix filling ingredients. Sprinkle 3/4 of filling onto batter. Add remaining batter, and top with remaining filling. Bake at 350 for one hour. Let it cool in the pan.  If needed loosen edges with butter knife and invert onto plate.
Pouring half the batter in the pan
Chop the nuts pretty small. But don't turn it into dust.
The beaut when it comes out of the oven
When you invert it on the plate.
I should have taken a picture of what it looks on the inside. It has this ribbon of the filling throughout it and it is really fancy looking.
Anyways, it is really good and so Christmasy with the yummy smells of cinnamon baking.

Also, BIG thank you to whoever gave Doug and I this hot cocoa maker for our wedding. Sorry for not remembering who you are exactly. It was so perfect after walking home in the snow after my finals! A good investment for sure. Perfect temperature and frothiness. 


No comments:

Post a Comment